Indian e-Visa Document Requirements
On this page you will find authoritative, comprehensive, complete guide to all the requirements for Indian e-Visa. All documents required are covered here and everything you need to know before applying for Indian e-Visa.
Ever since Indian Immigration made available electronic or e-Visas for international travellers to visit India, doing so has become an easy task and quite convenient too. All you really need to do is make sure your country is eligible for Indian e Visa as well as have all the documents ready that you would be required to upload in order to apply for and obtain the Indian e-Visa.
Some of the documents required are to be submitted for all of the types of Indian e-Visas that are available. There are also e-Visa specific documents, that is, different kinds of e-Visas, such as the Indian Tourist e-Visa, Indian Business e-Visa, Indian Medical e-Visa and Indian Medical Attendant e-Visa, all require specific documents pertaining to the nature of your visit to India.
Once you know the documents required for Indian Visa you can apply for the Indian e-Visa online without having to visit your local Indian Embassy or Consulate. This can be done from your mobile phone, PC and tablet. You can take electronic copy of Indian e-Visa received from the Government of India sent to your email and go to the airport. No stamping or affixation of sticker on the passport is required.
India Visa Documents Required by all types of e-Visas
To begin with, in order to start the application process for the Indian Visa you need to have the following documents required for Indian Visa:
- A photo or scanned copy of the first (biographical) page of the visitor’s passport, which must be an Ordinary Passport, and which must remain valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into India, otherwise you would need to renew your passport.
- A soft-copy of the visitor’s recent passport-style colour photo (only of the face, and it can be taken with a phone), a working email address, and a debit card or a credit card for the payment of the application fees. Read more at Indian e-Visa photo requirements.
Apart from having ready these documents required for Indian Visa you should also remember that it’s important to fill in the Indian e-Visa Application Form for the Indian e-Visa with the exact same information that is shown on your passport which you will be using to travel to India and which would be linked to your Indian Visa. Please note that if your passport has a middle name, you should include that in the Indian e-Visa online form on this website. Government of India requires that your name must match exactly in your Indian e-Visa application as per your passport. This includes:
- Full name, including First name/Given name, Middle Name, Family name/Surname.
- Date of Birth
- Place of birth
- Address, where you reside currently
- Passport number, exactly as shown in passport
- Nationality, as per your passport, not where you are currently living
Other than these general Indian Visa documents required there are also document requirements specific to the kind of e-Visa you are applying for which would depend on the grounds on which you are visiting India and the purpose of your visit. These can be the Tourist e-Visa for purposes of tourism and sightseeing, the Business e-Visa for the purposes of business and trade, and the Medical e-Visa and Medical Attendant e-Visa for the purpose of medical treatment and accompanying the patient getting medical treatment from India.
India Visa Documents Required Specific to Tourist e-Visa for India
If you plan to visit India for tourism, apply for the Tourist e-Visa. In addition to the standard Indian Visa documents, you may need to show proof of adequate funds for your trip and stay.
To apply for an e-Visa to India, you need:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months with two blank pages.
- Image of the passport biographical page.
- Recent passport-style photograph of the applicant.
- Credit or debit card for online visa fee payment.
- Current email address to receive the approved Indian Tourist e-Visa.
Upon arrival at India's border entry points, present a printed copy of the approved Tourist e-Visa
Indian Visa Documents Required Specific to Business e-Visa for India
If you are visiting India in order to participate in activities that are commercial in nature, such as business or trade, then apart from the general Indian Visa documents required you will also need the following documents specific to the Business e-Visa for India:
- Details of the Indian organization or trade fair or exhibition that the traveler will be visiting, including the name and address of an Indian reference.
- The website of the Indian company that the traveler will be visiting.
- A Business Invitation Letter from the Indian company.
- A business card or email signature as well as the website address of the visitor.
If the visitor is coming to India to deliver lectures under Global Initiative for Academic Networks (GIAN) then he or she will also need to provide:
- Invitation from the institute which would host the visitor as a foreign visiting faculty.
- Copy of the sanction order under GIAN issued by the National Coordinating Institute viz. IIT Kharagpur.
- Copy of the synopsis of the courses that the visitor will take up as the faculty at the host institute.
Indian Visa Documents Required Specific to Medical e-Visa for India
If you are visiting India as a patient in order to get medical treatment from a hospital in India, then apart from the general Indian Visa documents required you will also need the following documents specific to the Medical e-Visa for India:
- A copy of a letter from the Indian Hospital the visitor would be seeking treatment from (the letter would have to be written on the Official Letterhead of the Hospital).
- The visitor would also be required to answer any questions about the Indian Hospital they would be visiting.
Indian Visa Documents Required Specific to Medical Attendant e-Visa for India
If you are visiting India as the family member accompanying a patient who is coming to India in order to get medical treatment from a hospital in India, then apart from the general Indian Visa documents required you will also need some documents specific to the Medical Attendant e-Visa for India that will prove that the person you are accompanying holds or has applied for a Medical e-Visa:
- The name of the patient who must be the holder of the Medical Visa.
- The Indian e-Visa number or the Application ID of the Medical Visa holder.
- Details such as the Passport Number of the Medical Visa holder, the date of birth of the Medical Visa holder, and the Nationality of the Medical Visa holder.
If you have gathered all the necessary documents for an Indian Visa, meet the eligibility criteria, and apply 4-7 days before your flight or entry date, the application process for the Indian Visa should be straightforward. You should encounter no issues. For any clarifications, you can contact the Indian e-Visa Support & Help Desk, where most of your questions are addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions section.
For any additional questions, you may find answers at .
Applying for Indian Visa Application form is quite simple and straightforward once you undertand the type of Indian e-Visa you need and documents required. For any further clarifications please contact .
There are over 166 nationalities eligible for Indian e-Visa Online. Citizens from Italy, United Kingdom, United States, Canadian, Spanish and Australia amongst other nationalities are eligible to apply for Online Indian Visa.