What is the Tourist eVisa to visit India?
The online tourist visa to visit India is a system of electronic travel authorization that lets people from eligible countries come to India. With the Indian tourist visa, or what is known as the e-Tourist visa, the holder can visit India for several tourism-related reasons.
Initially launched in October of 2014, the Indian tourist eVisa to visit India was supposed to simplify the hectic process of obtaining a visa, and thus attract more visitors from foreign countries to the country.
The Indian government has issued an electronic travel authorisation or e-Visa system, wherein citizens from a list of 170 plus countries can visit India, without the need to get a physical stamp on their passports.
With the Indian tourist visa, or what is known as the e-Tourist visa, the holder can visit India for several tourism-related reasons. Some of the reasons for which you can come to India with this type of visa include the following:
- Taking part in tourism activities.
- Visiting friends and family.
- Attending a yoga retreat.
From 2014 onwards, international visitors who wish to travel to India will no longer need to apply for an Indian visa, the traditional way, on paper. This has been greatly beneficial for international tourists since it took away the hassle that came with the Indian Visa Application procedure. The Indian Tourist Visa can be obtained online with the help of an electronic format, instead of having to visit the Indian Embassy or consulate. Other than making the whole process easier, the Indian Tourist eVisa system is also the quickest way to visit India.
You require India e-Tourist Visa (eVisa India or Indian Visa Online to witness the amazing places and experiences as a foreign tourist in India. The Indian Immigration Authority encourages visitors to India to apply for Indian Visa Online (India e-Visa) rather than visiting Indian Consulate or Indian Embassy.
What are the countries eligible for the Indian Tourist eVisa?
As of 2024, there are over 171 nationalities eligible for Online Indian Business Visa. Some of the countries eligible for the Indian Tourist eVisa are:
Indian e Visa for Medical Attendants allow nurses, helpers, family members to attend to the main patient who requires medical treatment. India Visa for Medical Attendants is dependent on the main patient’s India Medical e Visa. Learn more at Indian Medical Attendant Visa.
Eligibility to get an Indian tourist eVisa
In order to be eligible for the Indian Visa online, you will need the following:
- You need to be a citizen of one of the eligible countries that have been declared visa-free and eligible for the Indian eVisa.
- Your purpose of visit needs to be related to tourism purposes.
- You need to possess a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of your arrival in the country. Your passport must have at least 2 blank pages.
- When you are applying for the Indian eVisa, the details that you provide must match the details that you have mentioned in your passport. Keep in mind that any discrepancy will lead to the denial of visa issuance or a delay in the process, issuance, and ultimately on your entry to India.
- You will need to enter the country only through the Government Authorized Immigration Check Posts, which include major airports and seaports.
What is the process to apply for an Indian tourist eVisa?
To begin the Indian Tourist eVisa process online, you will need to keep the following documents handy:
- You must have a scanned copy of the first page (biography) of your passport, which needs to be a standard passport. Keep in mind that the passport must remain valid for a span of at latest 6 months from the date of your entry in India, and in any other case, you will have to renew your passport.
- You must have a scanned copy of a recent passport-size color photo of only your face.
- You must have a functional email address.
- You must have a debit or a credit card to pay for your Indian Visa Application fees.
- You must have to possess a return ticket from your country. (Optional)
- You must be ready to show the documents that are required specifically for the kind of visa that you are applying for. (Optional)
The Indian Tourist eVisa can be procured online, and for it, the applicant will have to pay a short sum, using any of the currencies of the 135 listed countries, via credit card, debit cards, or PayPal. The process is extremely quick and convenient, and you will only need to fill up an online application that will take a few minutes, and finish it off by choosing your preferred mode of online payment.
Once you have successfully submitted your online Indian Visa Application, the staff may ask for a copy of your passport or face photograph, which you can submit in a response to the email or upload directly to the online eVisa portal. The information can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Soon enough you will receive your Indian Tourist eVisa by mail, which will let you enter India without any hassle. The whole process will take a maximum of 2 to 4 business days.
What are the different types of Indian Tourist eVisa?
There are three different kinds of eTourist Visas to Visit India -
- The 30 days India Tourist eVisa - With the help of the 30 days India Tourist eVisa, visitors can stay in the country for a maximum span of 30 days, from the day of entry. It is a double-entry visa, thus with this visa, you can enter the country a maximum of 2 times, within the visa’s validity period. Keep in mind that it will come with a date of expiry, which is the day before which you must have entered the country.
- The 1 year India Tourist eVisa - The 1 year India Tourist eVisa is valid for a year from the date of the issue. Since it is a multiple entry visa, using it, you can enter the country multiple times, but it has to be within the span of the Indian eVisa’s validity.
- The 5 Year India Tourist Visa - The 5 Year India Tourist Visa is valid for 5 years from the date of the issue. Since it is a multiple entry visa, using it, you can enter the country multiple times, but it has to be within the span of the Indian eVisa’s validity.
An Urgent Indian Visa (eVisa India for urgency) is given to those outsiders who need to come to India on a crisis premise. Learn more at Urgent Indian Visa.
Key Facts about the Indian eTourist Visa
- Non-convertible and Non-extendable: The Indian eTourist Visa cannot be converted or extended once issued.
- Maximum Applications per Year: Individuals can apply for a maximum of 2 eTourist Visas within 1 calendar year.
- Financial Requirements: Applicants must have sufficient funds in their bank accounts to support their stay in the country.
- Mandatory Documentation: Tourists must carry a copy of their approved Indian eTourist Visa during their stay in India.
- Passport Requirement: Regardless of age, applicants must possess a valid passport with at least 6 months' validity and 2 blank pages.
- Exclusion of Children: Parents are not required to include their children in the eVisa application for India.
- Eligibility for International Travel Document Holders: Holders of International Travel Documents or Diplomatic Passports are not eligible for the e-Tourist visa for India.
Uses of the e-Tourist Visa for India
The e-Tourist visa for India serves as an electronic authorization system for foreigners visiting the country for tourism. With this visa, travelers can explore landmarks, experience the culture, visit friends and family, or participate in activities like yoga retreats. India, rich in cultural diversity, offers attractions such as the Taj Mahal, Varanasi, Rishikesh, Ellora, and Ajanta Caves, and is the birthplace of Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Sikhism.
Restrictions with the e-Tourist Visa for India
Foreigners with an e-Tourist visa are prohibited from engaging in any Tablighi work, risking fines and future entry bans. While visiting religious places is allowed, activities such as lecturing about Tablighi Jamaat ideology, circulating pamphlets, and delivering speeches are strictly forbidden.
Explore age-old Ayurveda treatments, deeply rooted in the Indian subcontinent's history, known for addressing ailments and promoting overall well-being. Learn more at Traditional Ayurvedic Treatments in India.
How long can I stay with the e-Tourist visa for India?
You can stay in India if your type of eVisa permits:
- 1 - month tourist eVisa — for a maximum of 30 days per stay.
- 1 - year tourist eVisa — for a maximum of 90 days per stay.
If you are a citizen of Canada, Japan, the UK, and the US, you can stay up to 180 days per stay with your 1-year visa.
How long does it take to acquire my e-Tourist visa for India?
If you wish to get your tourist visa to visit India in the quickest way possible, you should opt for the eVisa system. Although it is advised to apply at least 4 business days before your visit day, you can get your visa approved in 24 hours.
If the applicant provides all the required information and documents along with the application form, they can complete the whole process within a span of a few minutes. As soon as you have completed your eVisa application process, you will receive the eVisa by email. The whole process will be carried out completely online, and at no point in the process will you be required to visit the Indian consulate or embassy - the e-Tourist visa for India is the quickest and easiest way to gain access to India for tourism purposes.
Citizens of many countries including United States, France, Denmark, Germany, Spain, Italy are eligible for India e-Visa(Indian Visa Online). You can apply for the Indian e-Visa Online Application right here.
Should you have any doubts or require assistance for your trip to India or India e-Visa,contact Indian Visa Help Desk for support and guidance.